Freddie’s Fresh Flower Guide
After much trial and error, here’s my ultimate guide to the longest lasting flowers known to woman or man.
How to keep cut flowers fresh
Our flowers are so fresh we can deliver them out of water. They'll be thirsty when they arrive so plonk them in water pronto. Then just follow my flowerful mantra for gloriously fresh, fragrant and long lasting flowers.
Trim, pour, style, refresh, enjoy!
- Forget the myths about crushing stems. Always cut flowers on an angle with clean, sharp secateurs.
- Flowers can drink water more easily, and for longer. This will help them last.
- Keep your flowers away from draughts and heat. Close proximity to radiators, the aga, direct sunlight, draughty windows or chilly corridors will only aid the demise of your petaly pals.
- Pop your freshly delivered flowers in water as soon as is humanly possible.
- Fill a vase with fresh, room temperature water. Too hot or too cold and the flowers use up precious energy, reducing their life.
- Pour in some Freddie’s Flowerful Food – one sachet per litre of water.
- You may already know exactly how to arrange flowers but I’m here if you need a hand!
- I include arranging tips in each flower box and you can watch my videos, too. Why not turn flower arranging into a calming beam of mindfulness?
- Thoroughly clean vases and secateurs to minimise any bacteria transfer. Think of it as you would food.
- Use clean knives, chopping boards and crockery assiduously – do the same for flowers.
- Change the water every three days and re-trim the stems each time.
- Add a sachet of Freddie’s Flower Food per litre of water. If you need more flower food, drop me a line.
- Down with debris! Make sure there are no leaves or petals in the water. Any debris encourages bacteria growth, which means farewell fleurs.
- Make sure the stems aren’t too tightly packed, either.
- Your flowers will take a few days to open; enjoy watching them unfurl.
- If you need any help arranging, check out my weekly video in your account, or on Instagram and Facebook @freddiesflowers
Fancy fresh flowers in your home?Sign me up!
A brief introduction to vases
Now here’s a thing. The gloriousness of your weekly flower arrangements will be significantly enhanced by the right shape and size of vase. And we've designed the perfect vase for our arrangements. Or, here are a few of my favourtie shapes!